Thursday, August 15, 2013

Monks and Music




A few weeks ago Cliff and I had a cultural experience...we went to a monastery to listen to Bach music.  I'm a bad Arts Administrator as going to cultural events is still considered a treat as they are often a little spendy.  With this said, we are grown-ups and dag gone it we will listen to Bach music if we want to!

Plans for the Mt. Angel Bach Festival have been in the works for months.  Kerry planned the trip for her folks at the Adult Activity Center but we knew right off the bat that it was going to be an awesome outing that we needed to get in on. I mean, look how excited we were....


The evening consisted of a few different performances.  We started off with vespers and it was so soothing.   So soothing in fact that in my post SummerFair haze I might have let myself drift off.  Thanks Todd and Kerry for documenting.  Embarrassing but whatever.  Apparently it took me back to my college days of listening to Pure Moods in the library as I tried to nap before Noteworthy rehearsals or Kappa meetings.  Yeah I said it...I listened to Pure Moods.


After vespers was a Bach choral concert.  I have to admit, choral music is not my favorite.  They were good but I was consistently thinking about dinner which was just a half hour way.   

Dinner consisted of a picnic on the lawn served by monks.  Salads with salmon, melon salad, stromboli, peach pies, and wine.   The monk who helped us out was so friendly and wore a fedora and had tattoos.  Gotta love Oregon.

After dinner we settled in for a Bach quartet.  This was my favorite part of the night.

We need to do this more often.  I still need to go to an opera and see a ballet that isn't the Nutcracker.  They are on the list.







No comments:

Post a Comment