Saturday, December 7, 2013

Winter Wonderland


We got snow yesterday.  That doesn't happen all that often in these parts.  We were hit by frosty temperatures and quickly our one to two inches became two to four and ended up at close to seven.  The newspaper broke yesterday down into three numbers: five degree low, seven inches of snow and 259 car crashes in one day.

With the threat of snow on Thursday night, I went to Walmart to get a snow shovel.  We didn't have anything that would be helpful if we did get a bit of snow.  Fun fact: Walmart does not carry them.  They told me "we don't need them here."  What?!?  I calmed myself and saids "no worries as Jerry's is next door (think Home Depot of Eugene/Springfield).  They only had two.  Not two kinds...two total!  Not because there was a run on them but once again because we don't need them here.  Regardless, I grabbed the Rolls-Royce of snow shovels and headed home.  I paid $21 bucks and Cliff assures me it is the nicest shovel he has ever used. Go me.

I had to go into work yesterday and I anticipated Main Street to have at least been treated or plowed.  Nope.  Springfield apparently owns one deicer truck and two sand trucks.  That is it.  Not a single snow plow.  Based on what I saw yesterday I would have doubted that we had anything.  Just packed snow on the roads for as far as the eye could see. We don't do salt here so the snowy/icy roads are here to stay for a few days.   It was a quite day at work as only about 1/3 of folks made it in.  At about 2:30pm I decided to call it quits and take some work home.  The snow was not stopping and I was getting nervous about even my two mile drive.  Like I mentioned, no plows, no salt, just untreated roads.  This was my view from the parking lot....


I was so jazzed about driving that I decided to document my view from behind the wheel before I hit the road.  I drove very slowly (10-15 mph) and  gave myself plenty of room to stop.  With this said, I did activate my ABS twice during my two mile trip home.  The first time I started to panic until I remembered that is what they are supposed to do.  Oh my....


While I was at work, Cliff was amazing and shoveled our sidewalks, the sidewalk across the street as our neighbors have moved, and a friend's sidewalk.  He tended to them all day (pretty much the only person who did because apparently people really don't have shovels here).  It was awesome to come home and not fear busting my butt walking to the door.  When I got home I found this little creepy guy waiting for me.  I love him because he is holiday kitschy and creepy but the snow eyes...they take him to a whole new level.


I spent the rest of the day fielding calls about the postponed Christmas parade and daydreaming as I watched the snow from the windows.  I miss snow.  I wanted this storm so bad.  I felt warm and fuzzy all afternoon as snow days (even if they are only partial) are magical.


When I took Rudy out to go to the bathroom last night I decided to document the situation on the roads.  Deep trenches with no relief in sight.  It was official....we were going to be snowed in all weekend!


This weekend was going to be nutty.  Cliff was supposed to have a soccer game last night.  I was supposed to have the Christmas Parade this morning followed by going to a friend's open house in the afternoon and Cliff's work holiday party in the evening.  Tomorrow is another open house hosted by my boss.  In actuality last night ended up as us watching Battlestar Galactica until we traded it in for hot cocoa and Elf.  Today we made homemade pizza and walked to our friend's party (as we are within walking distance!).  Even at 3pm in the afternoon the road conditions hadn't changed and we felt walking was the safest way to go.  Just packed, icy snow roads.  I'm thinking we will probably be homebound again tomorrow.  Oh darn! (Note: that is said with sarcasm).


P.S. did I mention that Rudy doesn't like the cold but loves the snow?  See...snow is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment