Friday, February 3, 2012

Tom Hanks and Cheesecake

What do Tom Hanks and Red Hot Chocolate Cheesecake have in common?  Well, let me tell you...

Eleven years ago today Cliff and I went on our very first date.  We went to the movies to see Castaway (thanks IMDb for the photo).  It was the first time that Cliff got to see me bawl my eyes out as I just couldn't handle myself when Wilson floated away.  Looking back this should have been a waring sign to Cliff of the many years to come.  I tend to get a little emotional.  I cry sometimes.  I just can't help it.  To celebrate our first date anniversary we decided to treat ourselves to a sushi feast for lunch and a decadent dessert for dinner.


For lunch we went to a local sushi place and ordered a few different rolls.  Two years ago on our anniversary we ordered one of those big sushi boats.  I was just starting my sushi education and wanted to try a little of everything.  Cliff was more than happy to oblige.  I was so embarrassed when they brought it to the table as it was huge.  Well....we didn't get the boat today but we still pigged out.  We ordered six different rolls! Besides the standard California roll (really good at the place we went today), cucumber roll, avocado roll, and spicy tuna roll we also tried two new ones.  We ordered another veggie roll that had avocado, cucumber, shitaki, cilantro, and a spicy red sauce.  But my favorite was the calamari tempura roll that had deep fried calamari, avocado, cucumber, radish flower, and some pretty amazing brown sauce on top.  So good.  I wish I was eating it again right now.  It was the type of meal that makes you thankful for deciding to be a more adventurous eater.  We can't wait for another special occasion to come around so that we can go back again.


Last week in the Eugene Weekly I read about a variety of local spiced desserts.  A little bit of warm spice is making its way into truffles, cheesecakes, drinks, cupcakes, and pretty much anything else that one likes to eat when they have a sweet tooth.  I decided we were going to go to Sweet Life (the place you go in Eugene for really good desserts) and get a piece of their Red Hot Chocolate Cheesecake.  It is their featured Dessert of the Month.  The cheesecake was mentioned in an article and the writer made it sound pretty darn appealing.  Besides being a rich chocolate cheesecake topped with ganache it also incorporated a hint of cinnamon and cayenne.  It was also was dusted with edible glitter which made it feel even fancier.  You know....worthy of an anniversary date.  The heat was the kind that made your stomach feel really warm, tingly, and happy.  I love food that gives you that feeling.


To bring it full circle...Tom Hanks really is an amazing actor.  I'm glad he was the center of our first date movie.  He is enjoyable to watch.  He has been in a lot of movies.  From time to time I will challenge those around me to name all of the Tom Hanks movies they can think of.  Always an enjoyable game (to me at least).   My favorite Tom Hanks movie is  A League of Their Own.  That movie produced a majority of my all time favorite movie quotes.

Well I am going to go as our North Dakota rhubarb wine is calling.  Just curious, what is your favorite Tom Hanks movie?

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! The dinner sounds amazing and I'm intrigued by this rhubarb wine. Did Cliff knit your hat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff did knit the hat! It was his first completed project. Cliff likes to learn how to knit in different ways but is not a big fan of actually knitting for craft. He likes the inner workings. So this was a big deal. It was a little bit of a stressful situation for us all. I'm currently in the process of knitting a cabled scarf out of the same yarn so that I have a matching set. It is taking forever but I am pretty excited.

      Delete
  2. Awesome.

    And my favorite Hanks movie might just be 'A League of Their Own' as well! When he throws the baseball glove in Stillwell Angel's face is sweet hilarity. "Got em!"

    ReplyDelete